Skip to main content

Author Interview: Tamra B. Orr

Hey, everybody... today we have with us the wonderful and lovely Tamra B. Orr. We’re going to roast her, toast her... I mean interview her. 


What is the first book that made you cry?


I think it was called Escape to Warsaw. I read it when I was in elementary school and it was my first introduction to war and what happened. I read it over and over and cried every single time. 

What made you read it over and over?


It was such a foreign way of thinking to me–why hate a person just because of where they lived or what they did/did not believe? I was trying to absorb the concepts, I think. 


Does writing energize or exhaust you? 


Both. Since writing is my profession, I have due dates, difficult editors, and unreasonable demands that can exhaust me. However, when I am writing and it is all coming together (or I am writing letters!) it energizes me. 


(For those of you who aren’t in the know, Tamra is a pen pal too! And a damn good one if I do say so!)


What is your writing Kryptonite?


Stress. It just kills my creativity, especially if it is coupled with sleep deprivation. 


Do you try more to be original or to deliver to readers what they want?

Actually, I have to focus more on what the editors want since that is who I have to please. They, in turn, have to make sure that what I have written matches what the client requested.

Have you ever thought of writing fiction?


I have, especially since most people think I should. :) I do write some fiction–much of the stories I write for test companies are fiction, from science fiction to historical fiction and everything in between. It is definitely a different process, but one I do enjoy. 


What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer?


The main other author I am close to is my daughter. She writes fiction, while I write mostly nonfiction, so we often bounce words, ideas, concepts, and metaphors off each other to see what works best. 


That’s awesome that you have that in each other.


How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?


Actually . . . none. All of the books I have written have been published. I don’t start writing one until it has been assigned to me. However, I am currently mulling over a picture book for young kids and a book on how to become a freelance author like I did. 


Would there be a certain baby B that has you mulling over that idea?

Absolutely. He and my husband often go on trips to “‘splore” (explore) so I want to write “‘Sploring with Gampa”


What is your favorite childhood book?


Phantom Tollbooth. It is a fantastic play on words that speaks to anyone who wants to become a writer. 


Oh great! Another book to put on my TBR list. Thanks, Tamra!


What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?


Time management. Making sure that I get time every day to keep up with deadlines and due dates is challenging, especially now with an utterly perfect one-year-old in the house. 


Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry?


Neapolitan, of course! (Or, as my kids called it “chocnillaberry”.)


OK, I literally LOL’d right there. I love your kids! <3


What’s your drink of choice?


In the morning, a cup of my husband’s wonderful coffee. The rest of the day it’s usually ice water!


Now time for shameless self-promotion:


I am the author of more than 750 books for more than a dozen publishers. I specialize in nonfiction books for kids and have the ability to explain difficult concepts without “talking down” to the readers. I also write workbooks and national and state tests, I have written board game cards, newspaper columns, and radio commercials. You name it, I have probably written it over the years. 


And as someone who has read some of your books, I can attest to the fact that you do not “talk down” to kids at all. If anyone is wanting to read some of your books I highly suggest that you go to their local library or have their child/children check them out at the school library. And how did I not know about the board game cards? Oh boy, you really are an onion, multi-layered.


If anyone has a question for Tamra, please leave a comment below and I’ll make sure to have her give you an answer.


Thank you so much Tamra for taking the time to come on my blog, it’s been a hoot. And, random factoids here folks both Tamra and I spell our legal names Tamra and our nicknames Tami. (Psst, did I mention that we’re pen pals too!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything I Wanted to Know About Writing I Learned From My Cats

As an insomniac, I have tons of time to think about writing (when one should be writing) and what they have learned, and how. I honestly think that my cats have taught me most of what I need to know. 1. Steady and cunning get you what you want. If you don’t have a cat and have never seen them stalk a fly/ladybug/moth you’ve missed out on a lifetime of lessons. They will sit as still as can be and stalk that thing till it’s just in reach. And eight times out of ten, they get what they are going after. Just like writing! You have to be steady in your course and you will achieve your goals. You have to make sure that you keep the eye on the prize. If you don’t get it the first time keep on keeping on, it WILL happen. 2. Know who you can lean on. Cats are particularly finicky over who they will ‘sit’ with. My cat Earl can walk up to me, nudge the laptop from my lap, curl up, and fall asleep. He only stays there long enough for a cat nap, but he knows that he can do it and won’t be chasti

Why Do We Write - Guest Blog Post

  Why do we write? _______________________________ Or: what do you get when you cross a sociopath and a cockroach?      Some people say that writers write for immortality, so that some part of them can be left behind when they are gone, so that they will never be forgotten. However, that cannot be entirely true for all writers, or else why would Franz Kafka have asked his friend in his will to burn what would become his two most popular novels, The Trial and The Castle , after himself burning nearly all of his own writing during his lifetime? Others say that we write to change the world, to communicate our ideas to one another, and thereby, hopefully, leave them changed. Indeed, none will deny the effect that written works have had on the course of human history. Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Cervantes, Dante, Dumas, the great religious texts, and countless other written works have shaped the world we live in and our perception of it in a very real, completely literal way. It wo